Hybrid: Both Online & on Premise Online & on Premise
& Governance School
Master of Studies (MSt)
- Prospective students for the MSt should have a first or second class undergraduate degree in law, political sciences, or in a relevant field of the social sciences.
- High caliber students with a background in a different field of studies or a particularly competitive profile with evidence of relevant professional experience and long-term dedication to the field will also be considered.
The ELGS Master of Studies
The ELGS Master of Studies is a 1-year degree program which enables students to conduct independent research in the fields of Legal Research, Governance Studies, or on an interdisciplinary topic without having to leave their country.
Completion of the MSt grants the successful graduate the opportunity to apply for Probationary Research Student (PRS) status, which enables students to transfer to PhD status.
The following specializations are offered:
Research from your home country
The ELGS Research Degrees allow students to conduct research from their home countries without the need for commuting. Students are required to attend a 10-day training for acquiring research skills. They will then be liaised with a professor of the ELGS network and will be asked to conduct research in a topic and language of their choice. The ELGS Research degrees are supported by the expansive ELGS International Faculty network of over 100 legal and governance scholars and practitioners worldwide, the ELGS’ Partner Universities across Europe and the world, and the EPLO.
The first training session will introduce students to advanced research methods, while consecutive sessions focus on tutoring and teaching skills. Students are also expected to attend classes, seminars, and lectures, as designated by their supervisors. Upon completion of the program students will deliver a 30,000 word thesis and must successfully defend their thesis in front of an international jury to attain their MSt.
- One year of Research study.
- A modern program of the highest academic standard.
- Has been designed with flexibility and mobility in mind .
- The International Faculty Network is comprised of professors and practitioners from throughout the world.
- Enables students to conduct research on a wide range of topics, in many countries and in roughly 10 languages.
Other teaching methodologies
- Attend 2-week orientation program on December (25 hours of classes in research methods, statistical methods, presentation preparation, public speaking)
- Assigned a Supervisor and Devise Work Program
- Attend classes and conferences as determined by supervisor and meet with supervisor
- Delivery of Thesis
- Thesis Defense
Are invited to apply:
All courses of the program will be taught in the English language. As a result, students originating from non-English speaking countries must evidence their level of English language skills in accordance with the following:
- TOEFL Internet based, Score of 90 or above
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency, Grade B or above
- Any other internationally recognized test with equivalent marks
- Students intending to conduct their research in a language other than English must demonstrate their level of the relevant language skills.
Tuition and Fees for MSt students starting during this Academic year is as follows:
- Application fee of 50€
- Tuition fee per year for full time students 15,180 € per year
- Accommodation fees as per availability and request
All students must be able to provide evidence of sufficient funding to cover the cost of their tuition fees throughout the duration of the program. If you have obtained funding from an outside source, please indicate this in your application. Please note that there are a limited number of scholarships available each year, which are select based upon merit. In the event that you are interested in being considered for a scholarship, please submit a scholarship request in the amount of 400-600 words. For more information on Scholarships please visit the relevant page under the Admissions tab.
To apply for a program, students must first review the application form and its requirements to ensure the collection of appropriate material. By the time they have gathered all documentation they should proceed with payment of the onetime application fee either at the relevant online portal or at via a bank transfer. Students should always add their surname, initial letter of their first name and Degree title in the deposit description. They can then proceed with their application which can only be conducted online and submit it along with the supporting documentation, listed below. All support documents must be in electronic format and uploaded to be sent with the application, except for the 2 reference letters, which should be emailed directly from Referees to MSt admissions at MSt@elgs.eu. Students may be invited to be interviewed.